March 2, 2011

Clean Eating - Day 1

Oh, this is hard. I mean, a lot more than I thought it would be.

Why is it that as soon as you take something away, you want it? I'm experiencing a bit of withdrawal (only symptoms of hunger pains and stomach growls have arisen), and I'm already wondering if I can make it through the week!

Dave and I did a detox back in the summer where we gave up pretty much everything but fresh fruits and veggies, and we couldn't have meat or potatoes. At least now I can eat the latter two, but it still feels like I'm losing my best friends (aka Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwhich and Talenti gelato).

Today's been rough, but I am pressing on toward the goal. Would you like to know what I've consumed today? Good, because I was going to tell you anyways.

Breakfast: I cut up strawberries, banana, and fresh pineapple to make this happy little fruit salad. It did give me good energy for the morning. I probably should have included something with more fiber or protein, like oatmeal, but I really didn't have the energy.

Lunch: Tuna (yum) and a snack bag of trail mix that I threw together from all the nuts, seeds, and dried fruit we have at home. I desperately wanted to toss in a couple handfuls of chocolate chips, but I grudgingly resisted. This was a really light lunch, mostly because of my lack of creativity in the morning. I think tomorrow I'll plan better. The water bottle beside my computer at work has helped sustain me.

Snack: Grapes and almonds.

Dinner: The best meal of the day, by far, was dinner. I made a Weight Watchers recipe that I got from Southern Savers (she posts healthy menu ideas that link up with what's on sale that week!). The star dish was pasta with broccoli rabe and bolognese sauce. I used all "clean" ingredients, and kept it simple, but it was amazingly delish. If you're interested in the recipe, my adaptation is below. Overall, I want to mention that at the end of the day, I felt really good, and so much less bloated than usual.Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
2 cans diced tomatoes (fire roasted recommended, but any kind will do, as long as
there are no preservatives, salt or sugar added)
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 tsp. roasted red pepper flakes
1 box whole wheat pasta
1 lb. fresh broccoli rabe

In a large saucepan, saute garlic. When tender, add fennel seeds and ground beef. Stir to break up beef until fully cooked. Then add tomatoes, oregano, and roasted red pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.While sauce is simmering, heat a large pot of water on high. Rinse and chop broccoli rabe; set aside. When water boils, add pasta. During the last minute of the pasta cooking, add broccoli rabe to pot. Strain and place back in the pot. Add sauce and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment